DIY: Self Care kit
I'm sure you already noticed I talk a lot about self-care and self-love. These topics are close to my heart and I feel that it's my mission to remind other females (and guys too!) to care and love about ourselves.
I know all of you generally care about yourself. You brush your teeth daily, put makeup on and pick nice clothes. But is it enough? Think how much time you spend to care about others: your other half, children, parents, and best friend. I know for sure that you put a lot of time and effort into your work as well - doesn't matter if you work in the office or you are staying at home mum... How many of us make plans like: "I will do yoga today" or " Tonight 'Ill relax on the sofa with a glass of wine while watching a silly TV show" - instead you end up in bed exhausted, planning the "to do" list for next day. Yeah, I know, I'm still having days like this...
The truth is that no matter how assertive we get, we will always have days when we focus our attention on others and find no time for ourselves. I guess it's alright... this is, at the end of the day, part of motherhood and womanhood to care and love.
The trick is to find a balance. If you feel frustrated, tired all the time, struggle to fall asleep (even you are super tired!) it's time to say: "I need a little bit of space and time for myself". If your partner or children are not used to this, it might come as a shock to them.
NO - you are not selfish, NO - you are not abandoning anybody.
You just need to re-charge your batteries. In an ideal world we would hop on a plane and go away for a week to lay on the beach and enjoy exotic drinks without hearing questions like "Mum, have you seen my other sock" or "Honey, have you washed my work shirt?". But realistically not many of us can do it.
What we can do is to introduce a little self-care routine into our lives, which will help us deal with our (not always happy) thoughts, release emotions and de-stress. It's a great idea to create a "Self-care kit" that you can keep in a pretty box, in your drawer or somewhere near your favourite armchair. This kit will include all of the things that help you put attention back to your own body and mind. It's totally up to you, what will go in there, but here are some of my personal choices:
* A journal - journaling is one of the best ways to de-clutter your mind and see your thoughts from different perspectives. Write down things that weigh on you and get back to them an after few days - sometimes answers to our problems are pretty simple, we just tend to over think and over complicate things.
* Favourite essential oil/blend - lavender, lemon, ylang-ylang, tea tree are my favourites. Aromatherapy is one of the most popular methods of dealing with tension and stress - and you can benefit from it without leaving your home.
* A candle or a few candles ;) - there's something magickal about burning candles. Watching that little, happily flickering fire is one of the oldest methods of meditation. You can choose one of our soy wax, vegan candles or just get one from your local shop. Just make sure it's all natural, so it doesn't release toxic fumes while burning.
* Favourite book or the book you are currently reading.
* Use your tablet/phone as a part of your Self Care kit. Create a separate folder/list with inspirational websites or Youtube videos that help you learn and grow. Another great idea is to create a manifestation board on Pinterest - add photos of all the beautiful things and places that inspire you, encourage self-love, help plan your finances better and learn new things. Do this instead of scrolling through Facebook or Instagram and comparing yourself to fitness models.
* You can make a special "Bath time"self-care kit with all of the pampering products you love. Mine include chocolate body balm, glittery bath bombs & my favourite face and hair masks. Add a few drops of your fav essential oil to the water to create aromatherapy sessions in your own bathroom.
I hope this article will inspire you to think about what your very own Self Care kit will include. Comment below and share with me what is necessary for your kit?
Lots of love